Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What Kills Us This Week!

Ah yes, another week where it's still H1N1 aka Swine Flu giving HK reason to panic:

Masks and hand sanitisers
back in force!

Although the Metro-Pork Saga has come to its logical end:

Now re-open for business,
and flowers from The HK Health Authority.
Note the
note of congratulations.

But we've done the H1N1 panic to death so let's talk about other things. How about my personal reason for panic?

Hong Kong is going All-Draconian on smoking and there are now only three spots remaining where one can have a pot of tea and do sudakos while having a ciggie. As you know, I don't smoke at home since Keith doesn't smoke and it isn't fair on him, the big sissy-lungs boy that he is, so I go out to indulge my vice, thus these three spots are most important to me ...

... but, as from July 1st, they will no longer exist. There will be no smoking anyplace on the streets of our fair city. Isn't it monstrous! I didn't fight a war for freedom just to have my own personal freedoms taken away from me! No, wait, I didn't fight a war! That was my friend Bernie's line when they tried to shut the smoking room when we lived in the hotel! But it's a good line and I see no reason why I shouldn't still use it!

Also I'm now thinking I'll have to befriend this neighbour so I can join him on his highly enviable awning perch:

Will it come to this?

However, I'm hoping there'll be a fightback, even if we have to organise it ourselves. My friend Steve the Spartan is a smoker and we're having all sorts of whispered conversations about how, from July 1st, we're going to barricade "our spot" and hold them all off, just like the Spartans did to the million-strong Persian army. Steve, as you know, is descended from 28 of The 300, and if ever there's a time for a Spartan-style stand-off this is it! Also Longhair often turns up to smoke at "our spot" so I'm sure he'll be in on it too! And all the students from the Performing Arts Centre around the corner! A Spartan, a bunch of actors AND Longhair with his megaphone! How can we lose!

But on a cheerier note, check this out:

Yes, an export from home,
now ubiquitous here in HK.


This is the Up-side of HK's propensity for panic. Health Authorities did lab tests on all the different brands of bottled water and discovered most are riddled with bacteria, the worst offender being Evian Water, but the totally-clean to the nth degree turned out to be OURS!!! Yayyyy! Go Fiji, Go Fiji, Go Fiji! So now the whole city is drinking Fiji water.

Nice timing guys! Our gold mines are closing, the sugar market is in turmoil, and, thanks to our latest coup, tourists are staying away in droves, but then this happens! We have another viable product to earn our beloved nation revenue! And don't you just wish that you'd invested in the enterprise back in the early days when we all thought it was a stupid idea to export our water!

But we have to choose a threatdown for this week, so ...

THREATDOWN

H1N1! Yawn!

The SCMP photo in the running
for "Photo of the Year"

No comments: