Sunday, May 3, 2009

Guangzhou AGAIN!!

Honestly, I'm hapless and hopeless and helpless; I'm ashamed to tell you that, over these past two days, up in Guangzhou, a city of over 4000 square kms in size, full of as-yet unknown treasures to be explored ... I did the same thing four times. Yup, twice on one day for hours each time and then back again the next morning, and again a quick drop-by in the evening ...

Guangzhou Leather
Wholesale Trading Complex

Truly, Halley created a monster. A significantly poorer monster. I even said to her "It was a bad thing you did, introducing me to that place." which made her laugh.

Even the hotel bellboys were laughing at me. Whenever I'd come out for a taxi they'd grin and say "Guangzhou Wholesale Leather Market!" and even when I had no intention of going there I'd think "Yeah! Why not!"

I actually discovered there are five of these massive labyrinthine complexes in the area, plus a nice low-rise wander-through market, all dedicated to handbags and purses, luggage and other items of that ilk. Like, everything. Every single thing!! Unspeakable abundance!

And, yes, right in the heart of one of these complexes - Bai Yun Leathergoods Wholesalers - is, dah dah!- Super Plus Triple AAA World. And here's an insider tip: if you want to skip the labyrinth, find this entrance ...

around the side

... and just go up the nearest staircase. And another insider tip: The quality rises with each floor.

I also discovered there's an entire floor - the top one - dedicated to luxury leathergoods by unknown Chinese designers and there are some stunning items in there, all original and truly great, and in such exceptionally beautiful leathers, but that floor is the emptiest of all of them. Compared with the crush down in Super Plus Triple AAA, with folks from across the globe negotiating and bargaining and putting in massive orders, it's a crime ...

... but I must confess that, my first morning, when I took the next staircase up, just for a peek to see what I'd be missing out on if I didn't, when I realised I was no longer in Pirate World I immediately went downstairs again. Which is why I went back again later that day; in the taxi back to the hotel, I got to thinking "Gosh, here I am, imagining I'm into innovation and encouraging folk to 'explore their bliss', and yet I only took a peek at where the real action is!" so, riddled with guilt, I went back later for an entire afternoon of seeing what's happening up there. And, yes, I was definitely impressed and intend, next time I'm in Guangzhou, to buy up big ... and hopefully get in early for goods by Future Great Leathergood Designers from China!

That's a future post, I promise, only they don't let you take photographs ... but I can tell you about it and give you names you will one day be hearing elsewhere. Hopefully!

Ooh, and here's what I also discovered; that someone has already discovered a Future Great Designer from China:


Yes! The Elegant Lady herself! Twice now she's worn pearl shell necklaces by a Chinese designer and made by a small factory in Guangzhou. And aren't they proud! See the sign on the side? "We made them!" That's a nice thought, isn't it! Someone who is able to choose anything on earth, chooses something you made! If it were me, I'd even be thinking "Trace elements of me are in The White House! How cool is that!"

OK, but back to Leathergoods. I've explained two of the visits - first for avarice, second for guilt - and the third was because, trying to sleep, I kept thinking of things I should have bought, so that third visit was for remorse, and the dash-by on the way to the train station later was to see if a seller I'd been bargaining unsuccessfully with earlier, would come down to my price. So what's that?: avarice, guilt, remorse and ... chancing my arm? The many reasons why you should visit Guangzhou Leathergoods Wholesale Trading Complex!

She didn't come down to my price, by the way, and so I have to go without a fabulous ostrich-skin portfolio for my CV ... but that's another reason for me to go back again next time I'm up there for work.

Mmmm, as if I needed another reason!

No comments: