Monday, May 18, 2009

Visions of Mao

Artists from The Beijing School appear to be working on a Mao theme at the moment, however what they're making of him these days is frequently hard to read. Some of these installations I get, but others? Mmmm?

Here are some of them so you can work it out for yourself:


This one looks easy to read except
the whole thing is one installation
and even the pieces below it
are part of 'the story'.

Wrong picture.
There's one very like this that has
Mao standing in that position with
the pollution-pumping chimneys behind him,
but I'm not looking for it now.
You can get the idea from this.




Neither of these is Mao,
but I didn't take a photo
of his painting among the set.
But this should give you an idea.

And of all these, my favourite would have to be:

Mao struggling towards the Statue of Liberty? I get that! But what is it trying to say?

No comments: